Thursday, November 17, 2011

The +1 button: Is google+ worth it as part of my marketing strategy?

The biggest gripe that I have heard about  trying to incorporate google+ into a marketing strategy is that you can’t have a business page. I can see why people wouldn’t like that — we are used to Facebook where the message coming to us from a company actually comes from the company itself. However, from a marketing standpoint google+ is like gold. We are conditioned to distrust corporations. (If you need evidence of that all I have to say is 99%.) So, on google+ your marketing message has to come from a person! You effectively bypass corporate distrust by mixing in marketing messages with your day to to social status updates. For instance, I do a lot of marketing for mortgages, once a week or so on my google+ page I’ll post something like, “Mortgages rates are the lowest our country has ever seen! If you’ve thought about refinancing, get in touch with me!” Sandwiched between a status about my kid brother’s soccer game and my wife’s latest pinterest tweet, it looks totally organic, natural and trustworthy. Contrast that against what it would look like on a mortgage company’s Facebook page. Google plus in your marketing strategy? Good choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment